Monday, May 25, 2015

Jeffrey Parks- Three Poems


EXO-FORMING

Great fat-bellied starships
materialize overhead,
oozing a slow path,
seeding the upper atmosphere.

Before they fade away
into the deepening blue
the change has already begun.

Late risers sniff the air
and wrinkle their delicate noses
at the first cloying hints
of an alien stench.


FIELD WORK

Intergalactic researchers
have taken up temporary residence
in my bathroom.
I suppose I should be
flattered.

Late at night I hear them
rustling through the containers
in the medicine chest,
whispering
and scribbling in their notebooks.

I don’t think they suspect
that I’ve been flushing the pills
down the toilet.
They do so tend to underestimate
terran ingenuity.


INVADERS

They came silently
and without warning
when night fell
they were already here
swarming in their thousands
signaling
coordinating the operation
through cold alien light –
and just as quickly
were gone
leaving no traces
other than a few stragglers
in the mason jar
on my nightstand
where they made a fine
reading light
until their tiny nuclear piles
finally ran down
and died.
 
 
Bio: Jeffrey Park lives in Goettingen, Germany where he is Lecturer for Scientific English at the Georg-August-Universitaet. Links to all of his published work can be found at www.scribbles-and-dribbles.com 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment